The Ministry of Railways provides the following concessions and facilities for the senior citizens.
- 30% discount in all Mails/Express including Rajdhani/Shatabadi/Jan Shatabadi trains.
- Senior Citizen who is a heart patient is granted 75% concession in I, II and sleeper class fares, for himself and his escort to and from the station servicing the place of residence to the station serving the hospital for heart surgery.
- Retired Persons from Indian Railways are entitled to free and concessional travel, life long, including for their families.
- At specific hours, certain compartments, are reserved for elders in the suburban trains, as in Western Rly. 7 seats are reserved between 12 and 3 p.m.
Senior Citizens of 60 years and above.
No certificate is required at the time of purchasing ticket. (However during journey they should carry some documentary proof showing their age or date of birth issued by any Government Institution/Agency/Local Body, like Identity Card, Ration Card, Driving License, Passport, Educational Certificate, certificate from Local Bodies like Panchayat/Corporation/ Municipality, or any other authentic and recognized document).
Conditions for Availing
To travel a distance of 500 Kms or more.
How to Avail
Apply on the prescribed form
- Show a proof of age at the concerned counter.
- Telephone No. 1330 (Enquiry in English)
- Telephone No. 1335 (Enquiry in Hindi)
Around 8-10 seats are reserved for senior citizens in only one of the compartments of the local trains in Mumbai.
Special coaches have been introduced for senior citizens who use a wheel chair. These coaches have provisions such as space for wheel chairs, handrails and a specially designed toilet. Special ramps for wheel-chaired seniors have been constructed at numerous railway stations, so that they don’t have to face the discomfort of crossing the rail tracks or climbing up stairs. Wheel Chairs for the use of older persons are available at all junctions, District Headquarters and other important stations.
Lower Berth Quota
A Lower berth Quota has to be provided in AC and Sleeper Classes for senior citizen and women above the age of 45, travelling alone.
Age Care in India
National Initiative on Care for Elderly
Separate reservation counters are earmarked for Senior Citizens at various PRS (Passenger Reservation System) Centres if the average demand per shift is more than 120 tickets. The position is reviewed from time to time for continuity of this facility. (Vide office memo of Government of India, Ministry of Railways (Railway Board), New Delhi, No. 96/TG-I/20/P dated 20.02.1996)