- Do the menus give you a regular choice of dishes and styles?
- Can you have a meal in your room?
- Can you make a snack whenever you want?
- Do the menus include foods items you like?
- Will special diets be catered for?
- Are meals only at set times?
- Are regular social events and outings organized?
- Do the activities interest you? (e.g.. yoga, music, handicraft, outings)
- Is there a choice of TV and/or lounge rooms?
- Is the furniture clean and comfortable?
- Is there a non-smoking policy?
- Is there a quit room for reading or games with no TV?
- Is there more than one TV room for choice of programs?
- Will you be able to practice your own religion?
- Are there regular visits by a practitioner from your religion?
- Can you have a telephone in your room?
- Do you need a special telephone and can it be provided (e.g. for hard of hearing).
- Is there a place you can telephone without people overhearing you?
- Can your family and friends see you at any time?
- Can you make/offer your guests a drink or snack?
- Are there private meeting places for you and your guests?
- Can your visitors stay for a meal or even overnight?
- Can you have a say in the way you are looked after/helped?
- Can relatives or friends help you if you want?
- Does a hairdresser or barber visit regularly?
- Is personal care available when you need (washing, dressing or going to the toilet)?
- Can you bring your own care giver/attendant?
- Can you keep the same doctor you have now?
- Is there referral facility or tie up with a hospital?
- Do other health professionals visit the old age home regularly.
(e.g. dentist, physiotherapist occupational therapist, yoga and naturopathy expert etc.)
- Will you have access to a doctor at all times if required?
- Does a doctor visit the old age home regularly?
- If your care needs change can you continue to live at the old age home?
Terms and conditions
- What would be covered in your agreement?
- What does the daily fee cover?
- What happens if you run out of funds?
- How much might the bond be?
- What extra services do you pay for?
- What notice must be given if you want to leave the old age home?
- What are the facilities guidelines, fees and costs (Refundable/non refundable)?
- What services are included in your payment?
- In what circumstances you might be asked to leave?
- How long a trial period of respite care can you have?
- Are standard resident fees payable in advance or arrears?
- When is the accommodation bond payable?