CHALLENGES OF AGING
Life expectancy is increasing for human beings all over the world. The fastest growing proportion of population is the 60 and older age group. Despite advances in healthcare, however, many older adults have chronic, incurable progressive diseases and need assistance with the daily routine activities.
The greatest challenge facing us is the prevention of the physical disability and the extension of the active life expectancy. Illness like, diabetes, congestive heart failure and some forms of dementia can be delayed or prevented. Even loss of muscle strength with ageing is partly preventable. Perhaps, a positive attitude helps us to overcome illness and personal losses.
As we age we make choices about our lifestyle, healthcare, personal pursuits, and our plans for old age. A few “steps to successful aging” will help guide us to healthy and active golden years.
STEPS TO SUCCESFUL AGING
- Adopt and maintain healthy habit and positive lifestyle:
- Avoid smoking
- Have no more than one alcoholic beverage in 24 hours time
- Exercise regularly
- Maintain a comfortable weight
- Get regular medical check ups
- Avoid falls, head injuries
- Keep yourself stimulated:
- Enjoy hobbies and interest with passion, like singing, dancing etc.
- Strengthen your family relationships
- Intergeneration interactions
- Engage in adult educational activities to challenge your mind
- Identify any physical limitations, such as difficulty walking or problems with balance.
- Be smart with financial planning:
- Plan in advance for retirement.
- Carefully manage investments and assets.
- Assure adequate insurance coverage.
- Decide on your future living arrangements
- Work to maintain dignity and good health in old age:
- Choose a doctor knowledgeable in the medical care of older adults.
- Choose a healthcare system that makes appointments and care for older adults easily.
- Communicate your goals of care to your family and physician